Saturday 21 July 2012

Good ol pat on the back

This is going to sound like I am tooting my own horn. I don’t mean it. And I am sorry if it does, I just want to talk about volunteers and volunteering. I think volunteers are a special breed of people. I am not sure what instills the good in a person, but most volunteers have ‘good’ by the truck load. It takes a lot of determination to leave home, leave a good job, leave family, friends, your comfort zone, your entertainment, your life. Save money, stress about flights, safety and danger. Spend money on travel gear, placement resources and language guides. All to help someone less fortunate. I know from personal experience I kept thinking I live a very good life with a loving family, my dream job and living in my dream destination. Do I want to leave all that and am I ruining my chances of living my dreams in the future. Raising money is not easy feat either. Some people just do not donate, others are skeptical and some are just plain old absolutely generous (Thank You!). The more I talk to other volunteers, the more I realize the sacrifices both big and small, they make. I am not naïve enough to think that it is all just about helping others however. Volunteering also helps you. The fulfillment, satisfaction, gratification one receives. The smiles, the hugs and appreciation given from those that you help. The learning curve you go through. Flexibility, creativity and initiative are a must. But what happens when you feel like you’re not making a difference. You don’t have lots of money to more heaven and earth for those you want to help. A friend told me it doesn’t matter how little an impact you think you are making, you are making a big impact to the lives of the people you meet. I realized this when I met some very old mamas in their humble mud hut home. They were so proud that a white person chose their home to visit. That they were able to have a conversation with me (I didn’t understand a word they were saying, I just smiled as big as I could) and got to shake my hand. Everywhere you walk, children want to hold your hand, adults want to talk to you. Some just want to know about Australia and the world that we live in. Sometimes just being in the thick of it is enough.





No comments:

Post a Comment